This pages describes various policies the WRTC2014 Organizing Committee will follow with regard to team selection and replacement.
1. Team Committment
A Team Leader (TL) must accept their invitation to participate in WRTC2014 and name their Team Mate (TM) in writing (e-mail) to WRTC2014 no later than Oct 15, 2013.
The WRTC2014 Committee will complete validation of the TM applications and announce the approved TL/TM pairings by Oct 20, 2013.
2. Team Changes or Withdrawal
If a named TM is unable to attend WRTC2014 due to illness or other reason, the TL may select a substitute TM (who must also be eligible and approved by the WRTC2014 Committee).
If a named TL is unable to attend WRTC2014 due to illness or other reason, there are multiple scenarios, depending on the timing:
1) If the TL withdraws prior to Feb 1, 2014, then the next qualified applicant in that Selection Area will be invited to become the TL. The new TL may choose any TM (the prior TM should at least be considered).
2) If the TL resigns between Feb 1, 2014 and May 31, 2014, we understand that travel and logistical plans are likely to be well under way. Thus, we will still offer the TL seat to the next qualified applicant in that Selection Area, but the TM that was previously chosen must be invited by the new TL as his/her first choice. We ask the TM to accept or decline within 7 days. If the TM declines, the new TL is then free to choose any other TM.
3) If the TL resigns after May 31, 2014, the WRTC2014 Committee will exercise its discretion to determine the new Team in one of three ways:
a) Follow the process in 2) above, or
b) Designate the TM to be the new TL and allow him/her to choose a new TM. This only applies if the TM is from the same Selection Area as the TL, since we are committed to have a TL from each Selection Area, or
c) Replace the team with a Wild Card or Sponsored Team
In the rarer case that a TL resigns from a Selection Area in which there are no other qualified TL applicants, there are three possibilities, subject to WRTC2014 Committee discretion:
1) Designate the TM to be the new TL and allow him/her to choose a new TM. This only applies if the TM is from the same Selection Area as the TL, since we are committed to have a TL from each Selection Area, or
2) Reopen the TL application process for 7 days for that specific Selection Area and select the highest scoring valid applicant (who would then select a TM), or
3) Replace the team with a Wild Card or Sponsored Team
Please address any questions regarding these policies to firstname.lastname@example.org.